Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nunya Cookies

There are two pieces of background information needed for this post.

Background piece No. 1
- Prior to the birth of children #3 and 4, I worked as a School Social Worker in an Alternative High School. We worked with students who were unable to be successful in a traditional high school setting. The students could be very difficult at times (or all the time, depending on the student), but a lot of times, the students were great. One of the little gems that I picked up while working there was the use of "nunya" (I have no idea how to spell it correctly - if there even is such a thing). In case you're not familiar with it, like me at the time, here is an example of its proper usage.

"Joe? What are you doing?"
"Nunya!"

Hmmm...not the best example. Translated into proper English, it's "Thanks for asking, but I would prefer to not tell you!" Or something close to that.

I like to treat my husband by using this cute little phrase every now and then. He's a big fan (right Chuck?)!

Background piece No. 2 - I have a recipe for cookies that I have had for many years. It is a very, very simple recipe but the cookies usually turn out great. For a long time, I made these cookies any chance I got. For any occasion or get-together, I brought these cookies. They always got rave reviews and people would ask for the recipe. One of the great things about this recipe is that I can make many different variations of it.

Here's the part I hate to admit. I wouldn't give out the recipe. I would put it off until people either forgot or gave up. I know that it wasn't very nice, but I don't have that many recipes that go over that well and well...I guess that I'm a little selfish like that. Not proud of it, but not ashamed of it enough to share, even now.

I did get burnt out on making the cookies (I can't even eat them now except for quality control) and don't make them nearly as much as I used to, but it's what I make in a pinch.

So here's the story:

My husband emailed me today and asked if I would mind making cookies for a work thing a couple of days after we return from our trip. I told him that I wouldn't mind at all. He then asked me what kind of cookies I'm going to make. Ok - while I don't mind actually making them, I don't want to commit to what exactly I'm going to make and I don't even really have a name for them except for "My easy cookies" and I wouldn't really want to see that on paper.

So, just joking, I said if he really needed that information, could he just put "Nunya cookies." Like I mentioned, he loves it when I used that little phrase (hehe) and this put the burden on him to actually come up with a name for them.

It turns out that he did need the name of what he was going to be bringing and he actually did put "Nunya Cookies" down. When his coworkers asked about it, he replied "...my wife doesn’t share the recipe, so she calls them nunya business cookies…"

Shoot! Now I'm feeling a little bit of pressure! Hopefully they will come out ok and someone will consider asking my husband for the recipe. But, the good thing is, I now have a new name for my cookies. I think it's perfect!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hi Robin,
Love the cookie story! Too funny!

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.
My sympathies are with you and your family.

Hope you have a good weekend.