Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Preschool Delimma

We were lucky enough to get our twin daughters into a preschool program (UPK) that is paid for by a grant through the state. This was a huge blessing for us and I am very grateful for it.

The class has a teacher and an assistant teacher and there are 18 kids. I think that ideally they would have an additional assistant, but they don't. So...recently the teacher put out a sign-up sheet so that parents could volunteer to spend the afternoon in the class and help out.

Today was my first day and it was cute for...maybe...the first 5 minutes. If that! Clearly they love having the help and I am all about giving back, but, this will be a challenge. I hate to admit it, but I am really enjoying my time away from my own 4 year olds, so to be with them, plus an additional 16? I guess I don't have it in me to be a preschool teacher! I went ahead and signed up for another date for next week, before I had a chance to think about it too much :)

My dilemma is to try and figure out how much to be there. I really feel that I need to do double duty because we have two kids in there. I am thinking maybe 2 times per month. Is that enough? I give Preschool teachers a lot of credit because I don't think that I could do it on a daily basis!

No comments: