Friday, January 9, 2009

(Not So) RAOK Thursday

(ROAK = Random Act of Kindness)

First, let me start by saying that I do know that it's Friday. I am still trying to catch up from the craziness that was December.

Second, this cold weather is really messing with my hands and it has caused some of my finger tips to crack (Yuck, I know) and the one that's the worst is my right index finger. That finger happens to be pretty important to me when I type, I've found out. However, I am trying not to use it because typing is just making it worse. That is making for some interesting spelling of words. That, coupled with my poor attention for editing, may make this a post filled with typos, Just FYI.

On with the point of the post...

I feel like I am a very lucky person and I am extremely grateful for all of the wonderful things that I have in my life. I also love the idea of paying it forward and try and do nice things for people whenever I have the chance. Unfortunately though, the extent of my kindness is usually (with a couple exceptions) limited to pretty basic things like holding the door or picking something up for someone or small things like that. It's not because I don't want to do more; I just haven't seen opportunities.

This year, I decided that I want to focus on doing more so I came up with the idea of trying to do one RAOK per week. This way I am hoping to be able to do things that are a little more significant and will hopefully make someone smile. I decided to post about it here because I am really hoping to get some ideas about things that I can do. I love hearing about things that people have done to make someone smile or to make their life a little bit easier in some way.

Yesterday, I was lucky and an opportunity landed in my lap. One of my friends on Facebook, who is also our neighbor, mentioned that both she and her daughter were pretty sick. Since I am right down the street, I thought that it would be fun to drop off a little pick-me-up for them. After I dropped off my daughters at preschool, I stopped by the store to get some chicken soup and a few goodies, including a smiley face balloon. I stopped by their house and left it by their door. I knew her son would be coming home from school soon and that someone would notice the bag. I was then eager to see if she was going to post something on Facebook wondering who did this. That was going to be fun for me :)

Well...it didn't go exactly as planned because I guess that her daughter did see me walking up the driveway to drop it off, but it sounds like it may have put a smile on my friend's face and that was the goal.

I'll have to see what I can come up with for next week.

No comments: